Monday, January 5, 2009

Passion

#9 Passion without a plan is so much wasted energy. While it may feel good or like a release in the moment of passion, or inspiration, if it has no structured outlet or purpose to be directed at, it’s similar to a hit of caffeine or buzz from drugs or alcohol. A good feeling for as long as it lasts, sure, but unsustainable and ultimately pointless and even potentially dangerous if you get addicted to the feeling for it’s own sake.

Although I’ve never been addicted to any illicit drugs, however, I did used to read motivational books to get an emotional buzz and not take action on any of the excellent ideas and mental scenarios I’d fantasize about, that would, for a brief period of time anyway, get me out of the psychological rut I happened to be in. Temporarily. For me it was an momentary escape from the reality of my life gradually sliding downhill. Ultimately though, I’d gradually come back to my same old reality, unchanged and worse off because I’d attribute the negative feelings of coming down to the “false hope” I’d gotten from the book or tape. Consequently, I’d use this as fuel for self-pity and rationalization for my overall sense of lack. Once I got clear on what I wanted out of life and came up with concrete, structured ways to direct my energies and passion, I started to experience real change & genuine self-confidence that sustained and nurtured my passion while continually renewing it. Passion finally became my ally when fortified by a concrete plan of action to direct it towards and helps buoy me past those days when I come upon inevitable setbacks and moments of doubt and fear.


Update: For regular readers of this blog I've decided to update it regularly every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If there's a holiday or a computer is unavailable to me for some reason I'll publish it early or late.

No comments:

Post a Comment