Tuesday, March 24, 2009

#38 Outside Projecting the Inside




(Bottom) Me in 2006
(Top)Me in 2009
"You always project on the
outside what you feel on the inside" - Dennis Waitley
When I was 250 pounds in December 2006, it was a clear indication that I had significant inner turmoil going on inside me. I was in a terrible rut in my life, and due to me feeling dull, uninspired and stuck on the inside, I used binge eating and an addiction to Playstation College Football as a coping mechanism to dull the sharp edges of the emotional pain I was feeling (or what some would term "eating my feelings"). It was a vicious cycle that continually reinforced itself.
Obesity and serial escapism are not the only way for inner turnoil to manifest itself. Ever notice how the vast majority of drug addicts and alcoholics don't look like supermodels at the peak of their addiction (unless they are supermodels). When someone feels unconfident, unloved, nervous, stuck, etc., we project it in a variety of ways. A friend of mine used to call it "leakage". It's in your posture, the way you project your voice, and how you carry yourself, i.e. body language. We all have different, unique coping mechanisms to escape the pain. For me it was food. For you it may be overwork. For millions it's drugs and/or alcohol. Someway, somehow the negative emotion exacts it's toll and it reflects outwardly.
Of course the other end of the spectrum also projects as well. When you feel good, it radiates and your spirit seems as if it's on a higher plane of consciousness. I've had the pleasure of experiencing those types of peak experiences and can testify to their healing and restorative powers. You smile more, you talk and walk with a bit more confidence and authority, and take more pride in your appearance. When you feel like a winner you act like a winner. Success tends to breed more success.
So, what do you project to the outside world? Notice that when you feel energetic how much more open and outgoing you are vs. when you feel tired and worn down, how you tend to be more touchy and closed off. And remember, to a large extent, you have final say in how you feel and what mindset you bring (called "choosing your attitude") and ultimately project accordingly. While I have my "off" days, more often than not, I choose to bring a positive and winning attitude. Now I just have to remind myself to read this post when I'm not "feeling" it:).

No comments:

Post a Comment